Sunday, February 04, 2007

Surviving and Finding

I made it through my first week of teaching, yay! It was very exhausting and long. Hopefully, as I get more used to things I won't have to spend so much time planning lessons. I was able to buy some much needed items for my apartment, so that was good. Now, I just have to figure out how to use my electric hot plate as so far my attempts have failed. Some English instructions would be really helpful.

I found a "dollar" (everything costs NT$39 which is US$1.20) store under my building next to a supermarket that has tons of imported stuff! Pretty exciting. I went up to the rooftop terrace of my building and discovered not only a beautiful view, but a nice plan to hang out when it gets warmer and I found a room with 2 coin-operated washers and 2 dryers! Apparently, my landlord forgot to mention this? I don't understand how much they cost, but I will experiment with that this week. Another thing I found this week was a church with an English service! It's not exactly my preferred denomination- but it sure beats getting up at 7:30 to get to Taipei on Sunday mornings (which I will try next Sunday)! I may alternate between the two locations. This church was recommended to me by some Filipinos I met at a Filipino store! The store has all kinds of Pinoy goodies, which is so great. And there were a dozen other Filipinos at the service today. It was a lot of fun to meet them. There are some Malaysians and some Africans at the church as well.

No comments: