Sunday, September 24, 2006

Weekend

My weekend...it has gone by so fast! All of Friday afternoon and night, I spent Skyping loved ones, which was such an encouragement! Definitely the high-light of the weekend! :)

On Saturday, Bobbie and I took a bus to one of Tianjin's most popular tourist attractions: Ancient Culture Street. It is a shopping area set up in ancient Chinese town style with old architecture and brick streets. It is definitely a sight to see! I loved it and took many pictures! The shops sell primarily Chinese handicrafts and cultural things such as chops which are name seals, kites, silk scarves, lanterns, qi paos (chinese style shirts and dresses), fans, clay tea pots, paintings, paper cuts, porcelein vases and plates, scrolls, embroidery, etc, etc.... It is a really cool place and a great place to buy souvenirs and authentic Chinese crafts. I will definitely have to go back there before I leave. There is also a really famous temple there that is like 680 years old or something. Besides the shops there are also clay artists and candy artists who you can watch making beautiful creations. It was all just so fun to see and SO Chinese! :) Then, I spent the rest of the evening in doing lesson plans for next week!

Today after Fellowship, I went with a bunch of the teachers to a famous restaraunt for lunch that has 100 varieties of these dumpling like things that are pretty popular here. They are really good- we got some with crab, beef and carrots, egg and tomato, and mixed veggies inside.
On our way home, we picked up some fruit and 2 fruits looked strangely familiar- pomelo and ponkan like we had in the Philippines...unfortunately, it's not quite their season yet, so they were not very sweet, but I enjoyed them anyway!

It's been a good weekend as short as it was...not sure if I'm ready for the coming week yet, though!

No comments: