Monday, July 16, 2007

Country or Not?

I've been learning so much here about the relationship between Taiwan and China because obviously it's a pretty hot topic here! I never even knew about the controversy before last fall. My adult students love to talk about it! It's so fascinating to me. Today I got a very interesting lesson in it- Taiwan has been denied membership into the UN and has been for years. This is kinda a big deal when there is only one other "official" country not in the UN- the Vatican City. But the problem is that because Taiwan is not in the UN- they cannot receive help from any of the UN organizations like the WHO and UNICEF! This was especially difficult for Taiwan a few years ago during SARS. Unless Taiwan unites with China, they cannot become a member because China is on the committee who decides who joins and well, obviously they think Taiwan is a part of them, so the others don't accept their pleas for admission since there is already a China in the UN.

Ok, so I'm sure this really boring for most of you...but living here has made this really fascinating to me! I mean, I guess I've known I've been living in a "country" who's legitimacy as a country is under dispute...but today's discussion just kinda made it hit home- I'm living in a "country" that only accepted as a country by a few other countries and who is left out of the most important organization a country could be a part of. How weird to be living here, all of a sudden! Taiwan: a de facto country struggling for recognition and independence or a renegade province of China? You decide. :) Here's an article to help.

No comments: