I'm ashamed to admit it, but I think I have become a "Lostie" which is someone who is obsessed with the TV show, LOST...kinda like a "trekkie" which are Star Trek fanatics. It's weird and funny how I came to be like this. My sad story into this state of pathetic-ness goes like this: Sometime during 2004-2005, my roommate told me about this new show her dad was really into- LOST. So, when I went home with her in May, we watched one episode. It was really weird, but strangely fascinating. Then, that summer, ABC was showing reruns of the whole season and I watched nearly all the episodes. Then when the next season started in the fall, I watched the first 4 episodes, but had to stop because there just wasn't time to watch TV at CU and things started getting too sci-fi and weird on the show.
So, anyway, fast forward to about a month or so ago. I was eating dinner with some people after church and we were talking about American TV shows we were really into like The Office, Survivor, etc. One guy mentioned LOST and I said, "Oh, I stopped watching that 2 years ago and I've heard it's just gotten weirder and weirder." To which he responded, "Oh no, it's SO good." Anyway, then strangely, I kept catching pieces of LOST episodes on TV here. At first, I just changed the channel, but one time I watched the rest of the episode and was so interested all of a sudden cuz I knew who half the characters were and knew all the info from the first season and wondered what has happened in the past 2 years and the episode was absolutely gripping! So, I went online to see what season and episode I had just watched! It turns out I had just watched the most recent one they've shown so far! And the new season doesn't start until Feb.! So, I was left hanging and unable to find out the conclusion! Anyway, then I got really interested and started looking online for episodes and found a site where you can watch nearly all the episodes of all 3 seasons for free since they are streamed online. What a goldmine! So, I decided to pick up where I'd left off exactly 2 years ago! So for 2 or 3 weeks, I obsessively watched season 2 and 3. It was so addicting. I even chose old LOST episodes over new episodes of The Office! Shocking! :) I became totally enthralled in the whole LOST world. It's the weirdest thing how a show can draw you in that quickly and make you so obsessed that you just have to know what happens next. It's actually kind of scary. The show is so complex, I even checked online recaps after each episode to make sure I caught everything. There are so many websites devoted to explaining the mysteries and mythology in LOST. It's crazy. When I finished the last episode (again) which made more sense this time. I then went back and re-watched season 1, which was actually really interesting because now I picked up on all the foreshadowing and different clues. I just finished season 1 last night.
And now, I have to wait until Feb. to find out the rest of the story! I can't even explain how intriguing and addicting this show is once you start it. And it's so involved and complex too- on a purely conceptual and literary (the script) level it's a masterpiece. The way they weave everything together and all the mystery and mythology. The writers are masterminds. Anyway, so all of a sudden and quite unplanned and unfortunately (because I have to wait until Feb. and this show is going to continue for several years) I have become a Lostie...a sad, website visiting, finding out everything LOST, addicted fanatic who agrees, "it's sooo good" :)
Saturday, October 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment